Saturday, March 6, 2010

Trust vs Expectation

Trust is a delicate thing. Pure at first until proven otherwise. Yet something that must be earned... yet something that can be dashed to pieces in an instant. Is it trust that builds? or one's expectations of others? Whats the difference between "I trusted you"...and.."I didn't expect that from you"?

Trust and expectations are close in relation to each other... I think that trust comes from knowing the person(s) at their core, and knowing their heart... When we place expectations on people, I think they are more about our own selves instead of the other person...
When someone has an expectation of another... and then suddenly they were wrong. Was it the persons' own personal expectation that caused the level of disappointment? or the fact that the person, on whom expectations were placed, isn't perfect and makes mistakes? Then the statements like "I trusted you" and "how could you"... No, this doesn't give license to intentionally hurt or not consider others in our actions... Broken expectations, and breaking trust are two different things. The question to ask is... Do I trust? or do I expect...because of my own perception..? False expectations are sure to eventually be upsetting... People are people, and aren't perfect. So what's the solution? Don't expect! Be grateful for that which is given without pretense or expectation. Just be grateful! In this light, we can avoid the disappointment that people aren't perfect... "I trust you" to me means, that I know you at your core, and love as you are...yet also understand that mistakes will be made, and won't judge you as a whole by your mistakes, but by what I know your heart to be...
We set ourselves up for disappointment when we place false expectations on others... This causes hurt and depression... Please know that "The seeds of depression and hurt can not take root in a grateful heart..!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

Check Out Our Music